Ask any business owner how they get the best leads, and they are likely to say: “Word of Mouth Referrals”.
The problem is that even though they know referrals are their best source of new business, most business owners:
- Are reluctant to ask for referrals, so they
- Leave referrals to chance,
- Hope and pray that their customers will refer them,
- Have no disciplined process for generating referrals,
- Get fewer referrals than they would like, so they
- Miss out on easy money they could be making from more referral business.
If this sounds like you, I am here to tell you that a disciplined referral system is easier than you might think … and reward you richly!
How to Create a Profit-Boosting Referral System
- Every time you make a sale or provide a service, ask for a review.The easiest way to do this is to set up a page like this on your website where your customers can provide quick feedback and give your business a 5-star rating.As you can see from this Top Notch Plumbing Services example, your customer reviews are collected in a central place and anyone visiting your website can see the great things your customers are saying about you.This kind of review system offers the benefits of social proof and increased trust in your business while also giving you valuable feedback you can use to improve your business operations and customer service.
It also creates valuable content for your website and helps with your website’s search engine optimization.
- Get your customers’ email addresses.When you build your database of customer email addresses, you are creating a valuable asset that can let you “print money at will” just by staying in touch with your customers on a regular basis.Just think: If you add just 3 new customer or prospect email addresses a day to your email list, at the end of one year you will have a valuable list of more than 1,000 people who have an expressed interest in your products or services. These are the people who are most likely to buy from you repeatedly and refer you to to their family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and social network.
Simply sending one email a month to your list will keep you top of mind and remind people to think of you when someone they know says they are looking for a business that can provide them with your products or services.
Your list is a valuable business asset. If you ever decide to sell your company, your database of customer contact information will increase the resale value of your company and allow you to command a higher sale price for your business.
- Stay in Contact. Even if you do not want to send out an email newsletter, you can simply stay in contact with your customers via phone, letter or postcard. A simple 2-4 page direct mail newsletter or a jumbo postcard will keep you fresh in the mind of your customers and prospects. You can also have a designated employee call your past clients, just to check in or even ask for referrals.
- Share Your Social Media Links. Your customers and clients are likely engaged in at least one form of social media daily: Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, and/or watching and sharing YouTube videos. That’s why it’s important to display your social media links on your website and any print literature you have.Don’t forget to add your social media links to your email signature line and letter correspondence as well.
- Reward The Customers Who Refer You. When a referral becomes a client, immediately send a thank you card, flowers, fine wine, or a gift card for dinner out to thank your customers for their referrals. People love to feel appreciated — and are rarely recognized as much as they deserve.When you show appreciation to your customers who refer more customers to you, you will be remembered and increase the likelihood of receiving even more referrals. Doing great work is not enough to generate referrals.
A disciplined referral system is key to growing your business with ease!
Want Help Creating Your Own Referral Marketing System?
Call or email us today to schedule a free initial consultation.
We’ll evaluate what you are currently doing to encourage word of mouth referrals, and then advise you on one or two simple ways to set up a revenue-boosting referral marketing system for your business.
And, if you want help getting your referral marketing system set up, we can do that for you too!